DIY - painted fabric gift bags

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

If the Great British Sewing Bee has whet your appetite for getting your sewing machine out but the thought of making an actual thing scares you, why not start with these very very easy fabric gift bags? I was making a necklace for my friends birthday but decided I wanted to put it in a proper bag, so I spruced up some plain calico with little bronze chevrons (they were meant to be hearts) and made these really quick gift bags. Swishy silk chiffons will forever capture my heart but there is something about the simplicity of calico and the smell when it is pressed that I love, its so versatile and easy to work with which makes it a perfect choice for beginners. All the steps are below: 
You'll need - Calico (mine is from Ikea), Fabric paint, Stamp kit and a Sewing machine 

Step 1. Cut a piece of fabric about 30cm long and whatever the width of your fabric wide and cut in half. On one half of your fabric paint on your pattern, I did chevrons but you could easily do spots or something easy like that. Leave to dry. 

Step 2. Once dry divide your printed and plain fabric, I split mine three ways (not very evenly as you can see). I cut down the length a little too as they were looking to long. 

Step 3. Paint a single heart about a third of the way up and stamp your word. I did my friends name but you could write anything you wanted. 

Step 4. To assemble, put right sides of the fabric together and sew around leaving the top open. Turn through and press. 
Thats it! I made a bonus little bag with the extra pieces I cut off. I love these little bags I think they add an extra something to my handmade presents. Happy making! 

5 comments:

  1. So cute. I'll have to try this with some left over fabric paint I have lying around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think of you and your fabric paint when I made these!

      Delete
  2. They're awesome! I really love them! <3 Unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine here, but will definitely give it a go next time I go visit my family (my mum's got one).
    So lovely, just like the necklace you gave me :)
    P.S. I'm planning to do a quick post tomorrow about last Sunday. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an adorable DIY! I love the pattern you chose to paint it with.
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete

Lotts and Lots | Making the everyday beautiful All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger

 
Pin It button on image hover