DIY - tie-dye table cloth

Thursday, 25 September 2014

As promised here is the tutorial to accompany my Styling The Seasons post. Now I know tie-dye isn't a new and ground breaking craft but I thought it's good to share how I interpret 'traditional' methods into my everyday life. I never thought I'd get so excited about having a table but I have and now there's no going back! For practical reasons its nice to be able to eat dinner without spilling a large proportion of it down my top and secondly its nice to have another area to put flowers on. To celebrate this major milestone in my adult life I wanted make it look as special as possible for when my friends came round but keep it fun and informal too, as tablecloths are quite expensive I decided to DIY my own, this came in just over £10 which I don't think is too bad. Here's how I did it
Prepare your supplies - I used Dylon Flamingo Pink, Salt (I had this stuff spare in my supply box), rubber bands, 100% Cotton fabric, mine was from Ikea which is by far the cheapest I've seen.

Step 1. Take a handful of fabric and tie with a rubber band. Each band will give you one circle shape so vary the amount you use per bunch. Repeat until you have covered your whole piece of fabric. 
I used 2.5 metres of fabric but probably should have used 3 metres as the ends are quite short. Make sure you measure your table and add at least another 50cm to that measurement before buying your fabric, it helps

Step 2. Prepare your dye as per the manufacturers instructions, damp the fabric and add to the dye bath. Leave for about an hour, stirring every 20 mins or so. 

Step 3. Once ready, remove from the dye bath and rinse thoroughly. When most of the dye has come out remove the rubber bands, 

Step 4. Put the fabric in the wash, I ran mine on a cold cycle and then leave to dry. Ideally after this stage you'd hem the edges but I ran out of time and left raw which I quite like. If you were giving this as a present it might be good touch to finish completely. Give it a really good press and you are done.

I'm so happy how this came out, I'd quite like to do a really soft coloured version in a pale blue or dusty sage next. I think this proves you don't have to spend loads to make something really striking. Happy Making! x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover