Simple blackberry syrup

Thursday, 24 September 2015

A few weeks ago my mum and I went out to pick blackberries, it was at that point in the summer when the grass had turned to gold and the hedgerows were ripe for picking. Collecting berries is all very well but I'm never quite sure what to do with them.  As I've been seriously craving cold fizzy drinks all summer I made a simple blackberry syrup to use in autumn based drinks.

The recipe is really straight forward - one cup sugar, one cup water and about a cup and a half of blackberries. Gently bring everything to the boil once the sugar has completely dissolved, leave to infuse (I left mine over night). Strain out the pips and store in an airtight jar (mine has lasted over three weeks). 

I've been mixing my blackberry syrup with a squeeze of lemon, a splash of apple juice and topping up with fizzy water. I think it would taste equally lovely with a dash of gin and depending on how you want your night to turn out a top up of prosecco. Cheers! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover